Tuesday 7 January 2014

English Apple Pie

I brought The Kansas Cookbook with me when I moved to the UK because I wanted to be able to share my Kansas heritage with my new family. The smell and taste of apples cooking conjure up visions of that idealised home and childhood everyone wishes he had. This recipe isn't to be found in any of my English cookbooks, but it most closely resembles an Eve's Pudding.
It will make its own crust, top and bottom, while baking. Serve it with thick cream, warm custard, or a rich vanilla ice cream. 

Old English Apple Pie

Serves: 12
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 - 45 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 2 eggs
  • 1.5 cups sugar
  • 1 cup plain flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups tart cooking apples (I prefer Bramleys) cored, peeled, and chopped
  • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Optional:
  • 1/2 teaspooon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
OR

Instructions:
  1. In a large bowl, beat the eggs until thick and lemon colored. Add the sugar slowly and continue beating until well combined.
  2. In a small bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and beat well. Add the apples, nuts, and spices, folding until all ingredients are completely mixed.
  3. Pour the batter into 2 well-greased 9-inch pie plates or a well-greased 13 X 9 - inch baking dish. Bake at 350F/Gas Mark 4 for 40 to 45 minutes.
Find this recipe and other simple but delicious food recipes in The Kansas Cookbook, with over 400 recipes contributed by lifelong Kansas residents that reflect the State's history and ethnic diversity.

I have used my copy so much, the cover is now missing and the inner pages are dotted with splashes and splotches. That doesn't stop me from pulling it out when I want to make wholesome, inexpensive, and filling foods.

The Kansas Cookbook: Recipes from the Heartland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. If you have question I will answer you as soon as possible.